Saturday, June 21, 2014

Brussel Sprouts – Yum!


I like brussel sprouts, they make me happy.  I like these little cousins of collard greens lightly sautéed with butter and seasoned with Mrs. Dash. I smile when I think of them, although this wasn’t always the case.

I once complained to a friend about how ugly and stinky they were and she challenged me to try one.  I rolled my eyes and stuck my fork into one on her plate. OH….MY…GOODNESS.  The Garden of Eden had met my taste buds.  I learned that day to form my own opinions. 

Since this experience I’ve tried shark, frog, wild boar, alligator, bison, elk, oysters and snail.  I’d only try boar again since it tasted like ham.  I was tricked into eating deer, and when I learned I’d eaten Bambi’s mom (and liked it) I was distraught.  I kept hearing her say “Man is in the forest.” 

The last new thing I tried was a week ago while hanging with Ice (see “My Man For All Seasons Part 1).  We’d had dinner where I decided to “woman up” and drink beer with him.  Ice was proud of my accomplishment since my drink of preference is usually what he calls a ‘Punkolada” (a pina colada with little rum).  I tried two different microbrews that Ice described as summer blends. “Like a summer blend of gasoline?” I asked.  Ice shook his head and gave me a lesson about malt and hops.  After driving around town he took me to his favorite coffee house that serves beer.  Still trying to impress him I decided to order the special of the day, a Strawberry Milk Stout. 


Ice (raising his eyebrow and looking down at me):  Uh, Fluffy, you’re still a lightweight.  Why don’t you try something else?
Me:  Uh, you don’t think I can handle myself?  I got this!
Ice:  No, try mine first and then decide if you like it.
The barista poured the beer into a glass and handed it to me.  She and Ice watched closely as I took a sip.  I felt my face contort and go into spasms as the taste of stale cigarette butts soaked in strong coffee hit my tongue. Too ladylike to spit it out, I swallowed the awful liquid as Ice doubled over in laughter.
Ice (taking the glass from me):  I’d hate to say I told you so, Fluffy. 
Me (gasping):  I thought it would taste like Strawberry Quik!!
I don’t think I’ll ever live this down.  But at least I tried it. :-)
Question:  When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Scripture:  Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment