Saturday, June 28, 2014

God Speaks, I Listen


September 2013. I was on a new journey that was thrilling and scary at the same time.  I encountered a roadblock on my path and was troubled on how to move forward.  I remember driving to work, the issue heavy on my heart while I had a conversation with Jesus. 

“Lord, I just don’t know what to do.  I’ve never been in this situation before, and I am afraid.  I want to act, but I don’t want to do anything outside of your will.  But Jesus, how do I know if I’m supposed to wait on you or step out in faith?  Help me, Jesus.  I just want to do what’s right.”

God speaks to me in different ways.  Often it’s a little nudge I feel, sometimes a small voice and when I'm really off course I hear a strong voice (imagine Darth Vader mixed with Samuel L. Jackson – not cool).  On this day God sounded like John Legend.

Don't wait til tomorrow
We waited all our lives
Don't waste another day

Hesitation will only get you nowhere, don't just stand there
Every moment's a gift, here's your moment to live
Don't have no fear
~ “Tomorrow”

Now I wasn’t always into John Legend.  I liked “Save a Room” and “Ordinary People” when they were first released, but for the most part his work didn’t move me.  It wasn’t until his song “Tonight” was released for the film “Think Like A Man” did I start really listening to him.  I soon went to Target and Best Buy to purchase every CD he’d made.  By the time his “Love In The Future” CD was released, I was an admirer and bought it the day it dropped.  John Legend sang “grown folks” music that I could relate to.

God had my attention all right.  I arrived at work ten minutes later and with a boldness that surprised me I made a decision that changed the course of my journey.  I walked in my God given authority with no fear.  And it felt so good! 

Thank you, John. 


Question:  When was the last time you faced fear – and won?

Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment