Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Hello From A Fluffy Girl!


Welcome to my blog!  You may wonder how I selected this title.  Perhaps you’ve heard the terms “chubby”, ”full-figured”, “heavy set”, “overweight” or “fat” used to describe those who don’t look like the Abercrombie & Fitch models.  I’ve heard them all and since I don’t particularly care for them I refer to myself as a “Fluffy Girl.” 

As a little girl I was teased, made fun of and called cruel names.  We’ve heard the rhyme about sticks and stones but words do hurt. Getting picked last for teams in gym class hurts.  Relatives giving candy to your cousins but saying you can’t have any hurts.  Being told you have a pretty face but would be prettier if you lost weight hurts.  Finding out the guy you have a crush on doesn’t want his boys to see him hanging with a fat girl pierces the soul.  These were my experiences and I know I’m not alone.
 

Yes, I am a Fluffy Girl and to put a spin on an India Arie song I am not my weight.  My weight does not define who I am.  It took me a long time to grasp that, and in a future post I will tell the story of the man who helped me gain that understanding.  I thank God for that revelation.  If my fluffiness has caused me to lose friends, they had no business in my life to being with.  If my fluffiness is offensive, that’s not my problem.  I am created in the image of the Most High God and happen to have extra fluffiness protecting my inner organs from the elements.

Now that this is established, future posts will not be about weight or weight loss. A blog exists with a name similar to mine and I don’t want to take away from that author’s work.  My posts will be thoughts and observations on life that I pray will encourage, inspire and bring smiles.  Each will end with a question that will allow for self-reflection. 

Thank you for taking this journey with me.  Let’s begin!

Question:  What label have others placed on you?  Do you accept it?

Scripture: Genesis 1:27 and Ephesians 2:10

3 comments:

  1. I'm ready for the journey and I can relate already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little fluffy puppy. Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete