Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Blessings In The Brick


“Fluffy, I ran out of gas.  Can you help me out?”

It was a Monday night at 11pm and I was just about to go to bed.  My brother needed me, so I wrapped a scarf around my head (don’t judge – no one would see me), put my clothes back on and hit the door. 

My task was to go to his home, get his gas can from his wife, fill it up and bring to him.  Simple enough or so I thought.  To make an embarrassing story very short, I tripped over a brick and slammed my knees and head on his porch steps.  My right arm broke the rest of my fall.  Two days later I learned I’d broken my shoulder and jacked up a bunch of areas in my upper arm that  can’t pronounce.  I texted my MRI results to my friend Ice (he’s finishing up his physical therapy doctorate).  I knew I was in bad shape when he replied “F***!!!  Fluffy, what the h*** did you do to yourself?”  The ortho doc gave me the final verdict and I’ve been on injured reserve since. I been off work since September.

I’ve had a lot of time to reflect as I sit in my living room chair wearing my fashionable sling. Before my injury I didn’t have time enjoy the chair and it became home to my purse and the daily mail.  It has now become my safe haven and place of rest and restoration.  Oh the power of a stray brick! I’d love to share some of my observations and lessons learned.

·         It is okay to be still and know that He is God.  He truly supplies all my needs

·         I appreciate having a fully functioning left shoulder and arm.

·         My dog is very happy I’m with him 24/7, as opposed to 10/7.

·         Breakfast taste a lot better when eaten on a breakfast tray or at the table.  Something is lost when you’re eating on the toll road or expressway.

·         8 hours of sleep and daily naps are beautiful.  Even more so when combined with “happy pills.”

·         I have made peace with “The Chew” replacing “All My Children.” My cooking desire has been reignited. Michael Symon’s laugh makes my eye twitch, though.

·         General Hospital’s Maurice Benard aka Sonny Corinthos still makes me sigh.  He and I go back to the days when he was Nico Kelly on All My Children.

·         Had I known I was going to break my shoulder, I would have postponed downgrading my cable package.  Thank goodness for 190 hours of DVR programming, Netflix and Hulu.

·         Reading a good book is best done with two hands.

·         It’s easier to drink a gallon of water daily if you aren’t driving 450+ miles a week.

·         You learn who your true friends are when you can’t offer them anything other than a listening ear. 

·         I am blessed to have a church that streams its services live.  Never thought I’d be on the Sick and Shut In List.

·         Daily calls from My Circle bless my soul.

·         A friend once laughed that I had too many pairs of underwear.  I have the last laugh because I’ve yet to run out of clean drawers aka draws.  TMI, but I bet you’re smiling!

·         Health insurance is a blessing.  Learning you have 2 disability insurance policies you’d forgotten about is a double portion blessing.

I’m thankful I have a job with paid leave, and the biggest lesson I’ve learned is that no job is worth compromising my health.  Had I not been “blessed” by the brick, it was a matter of time before I experienced physical, mental and emotional burnout.  All good things come from God, so it was not his will that I hurt myself.  However my Jesus, my TRUE cornerstone and rock of my salvation used this accident to draw me closer to Him.  In His presence there is fullness of joy and at His right hand pleasures forever more (Psalm 16:11). 

The scripture says that if people are silent with their praise, the rocks will cry out (Luke 19:40).  I will NEVER let a rock/ brick out praise me or let the troubles of life steal my worship.  I choose to worship you, Lord!!!!
 

Wait a sec - I just had got a revelation about the Psalm 16 passage.  Right hand, huh?  God, you got jokes.  But the joy of the Lord is my strength.

Question:  What has God used to get your attention?

Scripture:  Luke 10:38-42

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Often we have too many people or get "too busy" to enjoy God's personal relationship and presence with us. I hope you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete