Thursday, January 22, 2015

Introducing....My Daughter



Shocked you, didn’t I?  You’re probably thinking “What?  Fluffy doesn’t have children.  She’s always talking about how she wants kids.”  You’re correct.  This little one is a secret I’ve had to keep until now.

Saturday, April 20, 2013 I was at home working on a grad school assignment and listening to Joel Osteen’s “Night of Hope” via streaming.  After the praise and worship Pastor Joel asked those in attendance to pray about supporting World Vison. World Vision is a “Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice” (www.worldvision.org).  As Pastor Joel told stories of lives being changed, I felt a nudge to stop typing and listen. 

I first learned of World Vision when Christian recording artist Israel Houghton visited my church two years prior.  His team handed out pictures of children to everyone in the church and asked the congregation to sponsor a child.  I was given the photo of a little girl whose birthday was the same as mine.  It had to be more than a coincidence so I decided to participate.  Unfortunately you had to make a financial commitment that night and I didn’t have the money.  I reluctantly gave back the card, disappointed that I wasn’t able to help.

April 20, 2013 was different.  I had money in the bank and that familiar quiet voice said “Now’s your chance, Fluffy.”  I immediately went to the website and looked up how to sponsor a child.  I can’t explain why, but my heart was lead to South America.  Overwhelmed with search options, I thought back to the little girl that slipped through my fingers years before.  I said a prayer and searched for a female less than 10 years of age who was born on St. Valentine’s Day.  There was one child who met the search criteria. 

Nasly Julieth Solis - Born February 14, 2006

Below her photo was this description:

Nasly Julieth lives with her parents, 2 brothers, and 1 sister. Her parents struggle to provide for the family. Her mother is a daily wage earner. Despite their efforts, it is difficult to meet the family's needs. Nasly Julieth is growing up in a poor community in Colombia. Rice, beans and banana are typical of the local diet. World Vision recently expanded its efforts in Colombia to help families in some communities recover from a devastating earthquake. Homes here are made of wood, cement and scrap material. The soil is volcanic and the temperatures are mild. Nasly Julieth is in primary school and she enjoys mathematics. She helps at home by sweeping the floors. She likes to play with dolls. She is in satisfactory health.

Another little one born on my birthday.  She enjoys math..helps by sweeping floors...likes to play with dolls.  I was looking at myself at that age.   I heard the familiar voice again.

“She’s the one, your little girl.  What you make happen for others, I’ll make happen for you.”

I cry easily, and this time was no different.  I got my credit card and while wiping my eyes I made a pledge to become Nasly’s sponsor.  I can’t describe the happiness I felt at that moment.

The next month I received a welcome packet from World Vision with additional information on Nasly and a card that she printed her name on (Yep, I cried again when I received it).  The packet explained ways I could contact Nasly.  I send emails to her, and then Nasly responds with hand written notes that World Vision translates for me.  We also exchange cards during the year.

In the packet I was instructed not to post Nasly’s information or photos on social media due to unrest in Columbia, but I took it a step further and kept her a secret.  I didn’t sponsor her to get attention, I simply wanted to bless a little girl who needed financial support.  The only person who knew of Nasly was my classmate Juanita.  Nasly made a video for me in Spanish and Juanita translated it for me.  Avant didn’t even know about Nasly. 

However it appears things have changed.  I received an email from World Vision this week that I’m able to share Nasly’s info on social media!  The situation is better in Columbia, and World Vision is trying to raise awareness by asking sponsors to encourage others to join the cause.  I’ve decided not to put Nasly’s info on my Facebook and Twitter accounts, but will promote World Vision as a whole.  However subscribers of “Wisdom From A Fluffy Girl” are special.  Friends, I introduce to you my little girl, my Nasly.




Nasly will turn 9 on the day I turn 45.  I’ve already mailed her birthday card with a special check for her to enjoy a small party with her family.  I also plan to send her a goody package that will probably arrive after Valentine’s Day, but that’s okay.  Her “mother” celebrates until March 14th, so Nasly will too.  Here is her November 2013 photo.




If you know of someone waiting on the same promise as me, encourage them to be a blessing to another child, be it locally or abroad.  To learn more about World Vision, please visit www.worldvision.org.

Supporting Nasly has helped to partially fill an emptiness within me.  I trust that God will honor my desire to be a mother, but in the meantime I’m going to shower love on Nasly, my nephew and nieces.  I look forward to watching this little girl grow up into the Woman of Destiny God has called her to be.  Oh, and here is her November 2014 photo.  Indulge me, I’m a proud Mama!



Question:  When was the last time you blessed someone, expecting nothing in return?

Scripture:  Matthew 18:31-46



3 comments:

  1. Simply amazing. You have a great heart. You are blessing her and others with your financial gifts and us with your gift of writing. It's a good feeling to know that people with kind hearts like you still exist in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful! She could be anyone's daughter or niece in the US. Blessings to you and Nasly.

    ReplyDelete