Saturday, November 28, 2015

Who Do We Think We Are?

I’ve toyed with different ways to tell this story, hoping by the time it posted there would be a third chapter.  Currently waiting, so here’s Chapter 1.

In October I attended a state conference for those in my profession.  I served on the planning committee and my duties were to assist at the Thursday night networking reception and immediately after host a Scandal/How To Get Away With Murder watch party at the hotel.  The reception was to be held in a small business in the downtown area.  At least that’s what the conference chair told me. The small business turned out to be a 9000 square foot mansion. 


Built in 1901 the home now used for private events had oak/cherry woodwork, parquet flooring, French inspired murals and stained glass windows everywhere.  There was even a 2000 square foot ballroom!  Here are a few photos of what had me in awe.

Entrance and Grand Hallway
First Floor Sitting Room

Formal Dining Room


Second Floor Sitting Room
Bridal Suite

Third Floor Ballroom
An hour into the reception I was enjoying a cup of pumpkin chai tea near the piano with Peter the conference chair and colleague Annie when a man approached our group.  Peter prepared to greet him but the man walked past him – and came to me.

“Excuse me for interrupting, but I wanted to tell you that your sweater is very becoming.  It looks nice on you.”  He smiled and extended his hand. “Hi, my name is Rico.”

Dressed in charcoal gray pants, black turtleneck and navy blazer with satin black lapels, Rico had what I call President Obama swag.  A flirt anointing came over me as I tilted my head, returned the smile and placed my hand in his.  

“Why thank you, Rico.  My name is Fluffy.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Fluffy.  We’ll talk more a little later.  I’ll leave you to your friends.”

And with a final smile, he strolled toward the dining room.  

Anne sipped her tea and raised an eyebrow at me.  “Fluffy you do realize he’s into you? And I guess the feeling is mutual?”

“You think?” Peter said with amusement. “But I need to check to see what team he’s playing for.  Those guys he came in with are flaming so hard they could set the place on fire.”

Peter delivered a speech to Anne about his ability as a gay man to spot fake straight men, but their words were drowned out by the melody of Maze’s Happy Feelin’s playing in my head. 

To Be Continued……

Question:  What chapter are you waiting to write in your life story?

Scripture:  Romans 15:13


1 comment:

  1. Really?! I can't believe you stopped writing. I was smiling the whole time reading it. I am so ready for chapter 2!

    ReplyDelete