Monday, December 7, 2015

Who Do We Think We Are? Part 2

Friday morning as Annie and I drove to the conference my mind was on Rico.  We continued to make eye contact at the mansion Thursday night, but never had a real opportunity to have a private conversation.  I thought we would have a chance to talk back at the hotel, but he arrived after the watch party was over.  I was appreciative of the male attention that was missing in my life. 

True to his word, Peter conducted an investigation and confirmed Rico was 100% heterosexual.  Rico had driven to conference with his formers co-workers, who Peter also confirmed to be part of the LGBT community.  I smile at how protective Peter is, but in this day and age it’s a blessing to have someone have your back.  He gave me the scoop as he, Annie and I ate our continental breakfast before the keynote address.  I was tearing into a blueberry muffin when I felt someone standing behind my chair.

“Good Morning Peter…Annie.”

The Voice…The deep, Vin Diesel-ish make your toes curl and let out a deep sigh voice.  I tried to discreetly take sip of milk to wash down what was in my mouth, and prayed my front teeth were not blue.

“Good Morning, Fluffy.  You look lovely this morning.” Rico stepped from behind me and was now to my right.  His smile, those eyes…..

Are you familiar with the old TV show Ally McBeal?  Each episode had songs that paralleled what the title character was experiencing.  That was part of my world before the show was popular.  So as this handsome man dressed in a taupe three piece suit, crisp white shirt and pink tie flashed a dazzling smile at me, all I could hear were the prophetic words of Salt N Pepa:

“Bright as the sun, I wanna have some fun
Come and give me some of that yum-yum
Chocolate chip, honey dip, can I get a scoop?
Baby, take a ride in my coupe, you make me wanna
Shoop shoop ba-doop shoop ba-doop
Shoop ba-doop ba-doop Ba-doop”
~ “Shoop”

“Hi Rico.” I returned his smile, wondering if he could smell the cherry oil I’d strategically applied as I dressed that morning.  Cherry oil you ask? Another story, another day.   I opened my mouth to speak, but was cut off by Peter on a microphone announcing it was time for the keynote address.  The conference participants began filing into the auditorium but Rico took a moment to whisper that we’d talk later just before his travel companions whisked him away.

During the day long conference Rico and I finally had an opportunity to talk and I enjoyed the conversation.  As a new member of our organization I was impressed with Rico’s knowledge of our field and the insightful questions he posed to the speakers during breakout sessions.  He was bold, confident and charming with no traces of arrogance. I liked that.

The conference wrapped up at 3pm and many participants were eager to get on the road.  Annie and I were staying a second night so we could spend time with Peter, so I wasn’t in a rush.  I was stalling actually, hoping I could talk to Rico before he left.  I felt like I was in high school again as I watched him mingle with our colleagues, praying he’d say goodbye to me and ask for my number.  Not wanting to appear as if I were waiting on him, I pulled out my phone and pretended to be checking messages – every so often scanning the crowd the see where he was.  And then he began walking towards me, flashing that smile and folding his suit jacket over his arm.  Suddenly I didn’t feel shy or passive.  As a matter of fact I felt a ladylike boldness come over me (not sure if that is a real phrase, but I’m claiming it).  I didn’t wait for him to speak.

“Hey Rico! How‘d you like the conference?”

“You know Fluffy, I get a good vibe from this group.  Most seem dedicated to our craft, and the mission aligns with my personal one.”  He stepped closer to me, my eyes met his and then he spoke in that Vin Diesel voice again.  “I’m glad I got a chance to meet you.  I’d like to know you better, and was wondering if we can do somethings together?  Oh, and on a professionally level too.”

Swag on, My Brother!  Swag on!

“I’d like that.  Let me give you my card.”

“I have it, but I’ll gladly take another.”  Huh?  I didn’t recall giving him one.
I took a business card from my portfolio and placed it in his hand, lightly brushing my fingers on his palm. 

“Rico, I didn’t get to ask you earlier, what are you getting your Masters in?”

“Oh, I don’t know yet.  I still have time to decide.”

Huh?

“You’re not in Grad school?”

“No, I’m finishing up my Bachelors in Economics.”

“Your Bachelor’s degree?”  I’m totally confused at this point and it had to have shown on my face.  ”

"Rico, exactly how old are you?”

He leans in close to my ear, so close I’m surprised some his cologne wasn’t left on me.

“Me? “ He whispered in my ear. “Oh, I’ll be 23 next month.”



“Damn girl, damn girl
Damn girl, damn girl
Damn girl, damn!”

“Fluffy, it’s been a pleasure.”  Rico swung his suit jacket over his left shoulder hooking it with his left index finger.  “Be safe driving home.  I’ll be in touch.”  And with a wink he strolled out the room.

Cue the music.
“I've been around the world, seen a million hunnies
Really special girls, gave all my time and money
But, there's something 'bout ya, something that's kinda funny
Girl, it's what you do to me

Don't need no Maybelline 'cause you're a beauty queen
Don't need no L'oreal 'cause b**** you're bad as hell
If I'm a Casanova? Then you're a Supernova
Girl, it's what you do to me

That's got me saying, damn girl, you're so fine
The way you let me put it down, girl, blows my mind
I guess I gotta put it down tonight
I gotta put it down….Uh, oh oh oh
Damn
Damn girl, damn girl
Damn girl, damn girl
Damn girl, damn!”
~ Justin Timberlake “Damn Girl”

This is what was playing in my head as he walked away. Forgive the curse words, but I promised to be transparent and honest. God has forgiven me.

To Be Continued……

Question:  If your life were a movie, what songs would be on the soundtrack?


Scripture:  Song of Songs 2

3 comments:

  1. I'm hoping someone told you, since he already had your business card, that he was asking for a more direct phone number. Tsk tsk, Fluffy. You're hanging out in sandbox now lol. Hey, the younger men do tend to like women that are older than them. Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping someone told you, since he already had your business card, that he was asking for a more direct phone number. Tsk tsk, Fluffy. You're hanging out in sandbox now lol. Hey, the younger men do tend to like women that are older than them. Can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete