Monday, May 2, 2016

When Doves Cried

Prince Rogers Nelson

June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016

“Until the end of time
I'll be there for you.
You own my heart and mind,
I truly adore you.
If God one day struck me blind,
Your beauty I'd still see.
Love is too weak to define
Just what you mean to me.”

My world changed April 21, 2016 at 1:08pm EST. Those who love me contacted me immediately- the first being my friend Anne’s husband, Kiel.

I have admired Prince Rogers Nelson since 1978 when I was 8 years old. Too young to listen to his music, my parents screened what songs my brothers and I listened to. My brother and I saved our money and bought our first Prince album, 1999. Since then between the 2 of us we own everything he ever released - and didn't quite release (shhhh). 

Did I know Prince personally? No. But I know the artist that touched my soul, whose music is literally the soundtrack of my life. I knew the artist who could make his guitar talk like B.B. King did Lucille. I knew the musical genius who didn't care about making hits. It was all about the art.

Friends and family from across the country blew up my cell phone to check on me.  I’m thankful for the calls, texts, emails and social media posts. I am still numb almost 2 weeks later.

Ice posted this loving tribute:

"Why do we mourn the passing of artists? While we don't physically need art to live, art gives us spiritually so much of what we live for. Thank you for sharing your art with us, Prince." – Ice

'Dearly beloved
We are gathered here today
To get through this thing called life

Electric word life
It means forever and that's a mighty long time
But I'm here to tell you
There's something else
The after world

A world of never ending happiness
You can always see the sun, day or night.' 



This photo was taken in 2012 at the House of Blues.  Before the show started while everyone was getting their drink on, I stood in anticipation at the edge of the stage.  I heard the band setting up behind the curtain.  A silver cane with a sock puppet on top popped out from behind the curtain and looked around the crowd.  My eyes were glued to the cane – I’d seen it before.  Ten minutes later Prince stuck his head out the curtain, surveying the audience.  My eyes lit up and I waved at him.  He raised his eyebrow, and with a mischievous smile he waved back at me and was gone. 



Rest in peace my Sweet Prince.  I wish you Heaven.  

Question:  Is there a Prince song that has special meaning to you?  Please share the song and how it touched you.

Scripture:  Job 30:31

2 comments:

  1. My favorite song is "Adore". Whenever it places on my iPod I sing along.

    ReplyDelete