Monday, August 15, 2016

Exposed

I took a step this week and did something I never thought I’d do. I participated in a blogging challenge, and posted a link to my blog revealing my real government name. Are you surprised Fluffy Girl isn't my real name?  Dani has been coaching me as I start my new business, and challenged me to post to a Facebook blogging group.  I introduced myself, and put a link to Wisdom From A Fluffy Girl. I figured I didn't know these people personally, and they wouldn’t know the people I mentioned in my blog. The post caused people to visit my page, and I noticed the audience statistics increased dramatically.



When I began Wisdom From A Fluffy Girl it was just a way to get some of my thoughts out.  I challenged a friend to start blogging because she loves writing and then took my own advice. My first post was composed in a San Antonio hotel room as I completed the capstone course for my graduate degree.  I was at a conference for work, attending sessions in the day, and doing homework and writing at night.  I spent time with Ice during the visit, too.

Only Denise, Dani, April, and Dr. Youngston (not their real names) know about my blog.  Writing was more for me as I laid the groundwork for a future book targeting teenage girls. Each chapter will have an entry, a question, and a scripture to meditate on.

After I posted to the group I became uncomfortable when it REALLY hit me that readers would know “Government Name” authors the blog.  Fluffy's true identity was revealed to 325 writers.  I was exposed! That was OK to a certain point, but my thoughts went to Avant.

I respected our relationship and did not share all the details with anyone while Avant and I were together.  Not even with April (smile) or social media. I'm old-school that way, because there are some things that should be left between a couple.  Even telling your closest friends can violate the trust you have with a significant other. Everything I've written is true, however I’d never want him to know I've shared samplings of our business with the world.   

My writings are never to put Avant in bad light, but to help others who may be walking in my shoes. Because I love him, I will never share all the details of our three year relationship with anyone – not verbally or in writing.  And from what I know of Avant, I believe he’d offer the same courtesy.  He’s had a public Twitter account since October 2014 and has never posted anything about me.  And he has plenty material.

Are you surprised I still love him?  I’ve never been one to switch feelings on and off like a light switch.  And from hints Bethanie has dropped, Avant loves me too.  But that doesn’t mean we’re supposed to be together.

The night of August 15, 2013 I was nervously preparing for my first date with Avant.  He took me to lunch on Friday, August 16th.  Knowing the experiences of the past three years, if given a choice to accept his lunch request or not, I’d still say yes.  Enjoy this video from my teenage years that took on new meaning as I matured. 

And I'd still say yes to sharing this blog.


Question:  What secret do you have that could bless others if revealed?

Scripture: Ephesians 4:15

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on over coming your fear! :) Keep writing and enjoy the process! I am sure there's many more great books for you to write! :) -Michelle AKA The Thinker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I promise to keep writing and sharing my observations on life. :-)

      Delete
  2. Well done. I value authenticity above all else, but that doesn't mean I am comfortable with some of my recent blog posts either! Plus, I have plans for some soul-bearing blogs in the future that will require lots of deep breaths and prayers! Congrats for stretching yourself. It's encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! Thank you for your encouragement and I'm glad I could inspire you.

      Soul-bearing is tough initially but necessary if we're to help others heal. Three of my February posts were things I recorded in my personal journal, but God put it on my heart while I was on vacation to share them openly. It's been my experience that topics such as unanswered prayers or sexual struggles are not addressed in some faiths (especially Christianity). In sharing my story I hope to let others know they're not alone. :-)

      Delete
  3. I am so proud of you. No, all of the details of a relationship should not be disclosed with others. The pieces you've shared are lessons you've learned and are still learning. Hopefully this will also show others the real you that your friends love and laugh with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It takes courage to be yourself in print- 'cause it's in print for strangers to read and respond to. I know you are feeling proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! It was a leap for me, and the feedback received confirms there is a need for my stories. :-)

      Delete
  5. Loved reading about you and your journey. Maybe one day you will write a fiction book on a love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, thank you! I smile at your comment because I quietly wrote a soap opera like story when I was in high school. My best friend Denise worked at a local credit union one summer and I would slip her chapters to read through the the drive capsule! I see a book in the future. :-)

      Delete